Saturday, February 13, 2010

Pre-Trip Backstory

I almost wish I had decided to start a travel blog sooner, but alas....

So, the first trip I shall blog is New York. This is my second pilgrimage to the Big Apple - the first being three years ago with my design & illustration class - and I'm hoping to fill in all those touristy gaps I missed the first time around.

We decided on this trip because Megan had received some travel points as her bonus from work and also, she had wanted to visit some close friends in Montreal. Initially, I also really wanted to make the trek to Montreal, then New York and back, but decided my financial state wouldn't allow for that type of spending.

Instead of trying to find an affordable hotel, I'd remembered a friend had rented an apartment for a week when he'd visited New York, so I set about looking for some and seeing what the prices were like. I was so excited to see that they were totally affordable with some awesome locations as well! (Hello, Upper East Side!)

We managed to rope in my friend Jenny while some others sat on the sidelines undecided for weeks. We definitely wanted four, as Megan and I wanted to hit up some museums and galleries that Jenny was afraid would not keep her entertained for long (Megan and I went to art school together and run a small design studio; Jenny works in human resources and as a pharmaceutical technician) and it would be best if she had some company. (But also: watching the wallet.)

Without much luck finding a fourth to share the apartment though, I considered asking my sister-in-law (that is, my brother-in-law's younger sister) Sue. I wasn't sure if she'd be able to take time off, but New York seemed like something she'd love to do. Luckily, whilst chatting with my sister (marathon phone calls are our thing), I found out the date for her hand surgery had been set and her boss had given her clearance for almost a month off in February. It totally coincides with our visit to New York and without too much hesitation (she was in the midst of planning a Vegas trip with her friends) she hopped on board.

Just as things were (finally) going smoothly (flights booked, apartment booked) and with about four days 'til departure, Jenny bailed.

Her boss had scheduled a training week during our time in New York and Jenny was forced to choose work over leisure. I can't say I'm not choked but am incredibly thankful she is willing to pay for her share of the apartment still.

Oh yeah, did I mention New York's in the middle of a big snow storm? This should be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment